Everything deleted can be stored into a buffer. This is achieved by
putting a " and a lowercase letter before the delete command. The
deleted text will be in the buffer with the used letter. If an uppercase
letter is used as buffer name, the the corresponding buffer will be augmented
instead of overwritten with the text. The undo buffer always
contains the latest change. Buffers <1-9> contain the latest 9
line deletions ("1 is most recent).
* | x | Delete <*> chars under and after the cursor.
* | X | <*> chars before the cursor.
* | d<move> | From begin to endpoint of <*><move>.
* | dd | <*> lines.
- | D | The rest of the line.
* | <<move> | Shift the lines described by <*><move> one
| shiftwidth to the left.
* | << | Shift <*> lines one shiftwidth to the left.
* | . | Repeat latest command <*> times.
This section is based on "Vi Reference" by Maarten Litmaath et al.
Find this site useful? Want to give something back?
© 1993-2000 Christopher C. Taylor